You may have an extra smartphone at home, but your computer does not have a webcam, or you are looking to convert a phone to a webcam. Now it does not matter if you convert an Android phone to a webcam or turn an iPhone into a webcam. Learn the necessary tips for converting a mobile phone to a computer webcam in a visual and step-by-step manner.
After completing the steps of this tutorial, you can use your phone camera as a high quality computer webcam.
Note that in this tutorial, we will teach you how to convert a phone to a webcam with a USB cable or Wi-Fi, and the steps are no different. At the same time, you can also use this tutorial to convert a phone to a microphone. Stay tuned to Modfreefile.
We can’t find many high quality webcams in the market and we may never need them, but we may need them sometimes. You can use an Android phone or tablet or iPhone, even an iPad as a webcam to avoid paying a high price for a webcam.
Of course, it is possible to use a camera as a webcam, which usually has a higher quality, and at the same time it is possible to use some security cameras as a webcam, but their quality will be much lower than Android or iPhone phones.
Convert Android phone to webcam with USB or Wi-Fi cable
If you look at the Google Play Store, you will see many applications claiming to turn your Android device into a webcam. In this article, we will introduce two programs as the best programs available to you and teach you how to use them.
DroidCam app to convert Android phone to webcam
But the best program to turn your phone into a high quality webcam that we can recommend to you is DriodCam, which has a simpler setup process and also a more reliable result.
To download DroidCam and use this app, you need to do the following:
Download DroidCam app for Android
- Download the Android version of the DroidCam app from the Play Store for free and install it on your Android phone or tablet. To install this program, you must have at least Android 5.0 operating system installed on your device.
Download DroidCam for Windows
- In addition to your Android phone or tablet, you should also download the DroidCam app for Windows 10 or Linux. Unfortunately, the DroidCam app is not available for macOS. Be sure to download version 6.2 of this program or higher for Windows because this version has fewer problems compared to previous versions.
- After installing this program on your Android phone, you have almost no other special work on your phone and you have to do most of the work on your computer or laptop. When installing DroidCam on Windows, you must allow the program to install audio drivers, and if you do not want to see the installation window or not installed several times during installation, select “Always trust software from DEV47 APPS”, but it is mandatory. does not have!
Converting a phone to a webcam with cable or Wi-Fi is the problem!
Obviously, connecting and using the phone as a webcam is easier and easier for you to use, but to convert your phone to a webcam with Wi-Fi, your computer and phone must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. If for any reason it is not possible for you to do this, it is better to select the USB cable option in the settings and when installing the program on the computer.
Install the DroidCam app on Windows
- When you start installing the DroidCam app for Windows, options will appear at the top that allow you to specify a device connection wirelessly or via a USB cable.
The continuation of these steps is almost the same, and it is only worth mentioning that in the cable connection method, you must first prepare the phone for this task and connect it to the computer to be identified.
Given that the use of Wi-Fi to convert the phone to a webcam is more popular and the steps of using the cable do not need much explanation during installation, so we focus on installing a phone-to-webcam with Wi-Fi. If you encounter any problems in the process of using the cable, be sure to mention it in the comments section.
- Wireless connection with Wi-Fi is enabled by default in the application installation settings. At the bottom of this option, there is space to enter the IP address of your Android device. In this section, you must run the DroidCam application on your Android phone or tablet. At this point, the IP address is displayed, enter it in the desktop application and in the Device IP section.
- After that and in the next step, be sure to activate the options related to image and sound. If only the image is active, the app will not use the microphone of your phone or tablet to record audio and no sound will be transmitted, and at the same time, if you disable the image option and only activate the microphone, you have only converted the phone to microphone. Be sure to enable the required options before clicking the start button in the desktop application.
- After confirming this, touch the three vertical dots option on your Android phone to go to the settings section. Here in the camera section you can specify the use of a selfie or main camera as a webcam. The main camera of smartphones is higher quality than the selfie camera, so we suggest you choose the main camera as a webcam. Do not touch the other sections in the settings.
- Finally, click on the start option in the DroidCam software on the Windows desktop to begin the process of connecting the devices. Now you need to see the output image of the phone camera on your computer screen.
Problems and Highlights of Using DroidCam
If after the above steps you still can not see the output image of the camera on the computer, be sure to check the following: If you use Wi-Fi, be sure to connect the Android device and computer to the same Wi-Fi network.
Maybe your computer is wired to the modem and the phone is connected via Wi-Fi, if the network is the same will not be a problem. If you are using a cable for connection, be sure to connect the cable correctly.
- By successfully completing these steps, you can run your favorite video calling application, such as Zoom, Google Mate, or Skype, on your system.
- Be sure to change the default camera of the app to “DroidCam Source 2” or “DroidCam Source 3” in the video settings of any of these apps or apps. One of these cameras displays the video you see in the DroidCam Client application.
- To make sure that your device’s microphone is used by default in the video calling application, go to the microphone section and select “DroidCam Virtual Audio”. After this, the sound is transmitted by the phone.
- If you use your device’s selfie camera as a webcam and decide to do something else with it for any reason, such as texting or looking for a specific audience, DroidCam will not stop video playback.
Note: If you want to use all the features of this Android app, you have to pay $ 4.99. By doing so, you are supporting the developer, but the free version will meet most of your needs and there is no need to pay extra.
Finally, we must say that this program has several advantages, such as free execution, no watermark, the possibility of using a selfie or main camera, as well as the possibility of changing the size of the application when using the webcam, of course, this program only with The Android operating system works and also users do not have access to the macOS version.
Option 2: IP Webcam app to convert Android phone to webcam
Install IP Webcam application
Follow the steps below when you install the apps:
- Launch the IP Webcam app on your Android phone and apply your desired settings such as image resolution, quality, FPS limit and.. Now scroll down and select Start Server. Note: It is better to choose a username and password; Because both your security and the program sometimes do not work without these specifications.
- Open the browser on the computer and enter the IP address displayed on the phone. For example: 192.168.2.12:8080
- Choose the right option by trial and error. It is better to select “Use browser built-in viewer” first. You should now watch the video, otherwise go back and select another option.
- Launch the IP Webcam application on Windows and fill in the information. Note that in the Camera feed URL you must also enter / videofeed.
- Now select the Autodetect button in the Video size section and Apply. Now you need to close and reopen all the applications that need the webcam. Enjoy your Android webcam!
How to use iPhone or iPad as a webcam?
Like the Android operating system, several apps have been developed for the iOS operating system that allow users to convert their iPhone or iPad to a webcam.
One of these apps is called EpocCam, which requires iOS 10.3 or higher to install. The steps of installing and running this program are very simple and you do not need a cable to use it.
If the DroidCam app does not work for you, you can also use EpocCam for your Android device.
Download and install the EpocCam app to convert iPhone and iPad to webcam
Follow the steps below to use this app on iOS:
- Download and install the EpocCam app from the App Store .
- Unlike DroidCam, EpocCam desktop drivers have been released for Windows and macOS. Go to the developer’s website, com , and download them depending on the operating system you are using.
- After installing the drivers on your desktop, you do not need to do anything special, but make sure that the computer and the device running iOS are connected to the same Internet network. Launch the app on your phone or tablet and then open your favorite video calling app on the system.
- Most apps work with this app, but look for EpocCam in the camera settings. After selecting this camera, a notification will be displayed on your computer notifying you that the camera is connected to Wi-Fi.
- If you encounter a problem in the usage process, there are several solutions to fix them. Make sure that your browser has access to the camera if you are using a browser-independent version instead of video calling applications. When you start a video call, a notification to allow the browser appears next to the address bar.
Problems and Highlights of Using EpocCam
Finally, we would like to draw your attention to a few points about the free version of EpocCam.
- First of all, you should know that the features of the free version of this app are much less than the free version of DroidCam, for example, if you want to use the selfie camera on your iOS device as a webcam, you should write a review for it in the App Store. The free version has a watermark and the maximum video resolution is 640 by 480 pixels at 30 frames per second.
- It has several advantages, for example it only requires drivers, it runs on iOS, Android, Windows and macOS, and it is very easy to set up. In contrast, the free version imposes many restrictions on you.
- The free version of EpocCam does not allow you to use your iPhone or iPad microphone as a sound source, so you need to connect a headset with a microphone to your computer.